All of our pizza dough is made in house daily using Double Zero Flour. The name 00 Flour refers to specifically Italian milled flour that is used for pasta or pizza making. The grading system is 2, 1, 0 or 00 and indicates how finely ground the flour is. 2 for instance is a wholemeal flour while 00 is the most refined of the four. It creates a dough that is silkier and maintains a chewiness after the pizza is baked.
We utilize a Poolish for our dough. Poolish or wet sponge, is a starter which consists of water, 00 flour and a small amount of yeast which is allowed to ferment for 12 hours. Once our dough is made, scaled out to 170 grams and balled, we allow the dough to ferment again for a minimum of 48 hours in order to develop our unique flavor.
San Marzano Tomatoes once crushed serve as the base for all of our red pies. They are an Italian Plum Tomato that has a heartier flesh, thinner skin and less seeds than other tomatoes. Grown at the base of Mount Vesuvius, the volcanic soil in which they grow causes them to be sweeter and less acidic. One story goes that the first seed of this tomato came to Campania in 1770, as a gift from the Viceroyalty of Peru to the Kingdom of Naples, and that it was planted in the area of San Marzano sul Sarno.
Another key component to our pies is mozzarella cheese. We utilize 2 types of mozzarella cheese here at Uno Venti. Organic Valley in La Farge WI provides us with a local low moisture mozzarella that is made using milk from over 600 regional dairy farm families. Our fresh mozzarella is made in Eastern Wisconsin by the cheesemakers of BelGioioso. Made only hours after milking, this silky smooth and porcelain white mozzarella is a perfect addition to our pies.
The building we share with Piggy's Restaurant was Built in 1871 at a cost of $76,000, it opened as the Pioneer Foundry Building. The foundry manufactured parts for water wheels, steam engines, saw and flour mills as well as paddle wheelers on the Mississippi. The 2 story structure is built like a suspension bridge with steel rods holding the 2nd floor above the 1st floor with massive full length wooden beams carrying the load. The building is one of the last of its kind in the area. It is also the best preserved of the very few 19th century industrial buildings remaining in the city.